Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: please respond to this?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:56:37 -0500

Mike,

On Windows, the dnet library that Nmap uses for routing and raw packet
operations renames the Windows network adapters from their long GUID-based
names to Linux-like short names using the prefixes "eth" for ethernet-like
interfaces, "lo" for loopback devices, and "ppp" for non-ethernet virtual
adapters like VPNs. Note that WiFi is sufficiently ethernet-like to warrant
the "eth" prefix.

The message you are getting, "dnet: Failed to open device eth0," likely
indicates a problem with your Npcap installation. One place I've
consistently seen this is when Npcap is configured not to start at boot. If
the npcap driver service is not started, Nmap will try to start it, then
continue with the scan. If the driver doesn't have time to fully start
before Nmap tries to use it, this error can happen. I recommend installing
the latest release of Npcap and ensuring that it is started at system boot
time.

If this does not describe your setup, then we can try to debug your Npcap
installation. First, see if the problem persists after upgrading to Npcap
0.991. Then provide us the output of the DiagReport batch script in the
Npcap installation directory as described in the Npcap Guide:
https://nmap.org/npcap/guide/npcap-issues.html#npcap-issues-diagreport

Thanks!
Dan