Nmap Development mailing list archives

dll and lib of npcap

From: "Zuo, Haochen" <haochen.zuo () rwth-aachen de>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:23:10 +0000

Hi,

My name is Haochen Zuo, a master student from RWTH Aachen, Germany. Now I'm using Npcap repository to finish my master
thesis. Having learned Npcap for several weeks, I met some question about its dll and lib.

I have downloaded both sdk npcap-sdk-1.01-1 and the repository from Github. Well my purpose is to get the timestamp
generated from the very low level, say from NIC if possible, in order to calculate the network latency. Now I can read
the packet header with the sdk npcap-adk-1.01 successfully. But when I try to use function pcap_list_tstamp_types() to
get the time stamp information of the hardware, it always returns  0 (which means only default time stamp type is
supported).  However,  after reading the repository of npcap from Github, I strongly suspect that the program doesn't
attach the information of my hardware. I just use the .dll and .lib from the npcap-sdk-1.01, but I suppose there is no
information about my hardware device in them. In this way the program can't access the NIC and just return NULL as a
result. So my question is, do I need to generate the .dll and .lib on my PC by myself out of the npcap repository from
Github. Or can I just configure one or some header file or macro definition to achieve this goal?

I would appreciate it if you could help me. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Best Wishes
Haochen