Nmap Development mailing list archives

Idea for discussion about NSE scripts

From: Kostas Milonas <milonas.ko () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:43:18 +0000

Hello everyone and happy new year!

During the last 2-3 months I contributed with a few NSE scripts which
unfortunately didn't get merged
or reviewed. I know everyone is putting their efforts whenever possible and
I totally appreciate their time.
But I'm not here to complain! I just wanted to propose an idea for
discussion!

I think that NSE scripts, because of their nature, are more approachable to
contribute than the core.
Also, contributing with NSE scripts sounds more frequent, as a new script
could be added to the project
every time a new vulnerability is revealed.

So, could the NSE scripts (along with or without the lib) benefit from
being in a separate repo?
- pull requests could get merged more frequently
- could have separate administration from the core nmap repo (more people
reviewing and merging,
  without the fear of others messing with the core nmap repository)
- in the future, could more easily lead to allow users to update their
system with new scripts and update
  the existing, using a simple nmap command or just do so using their
package manager.

I know that this would trigger changes on the distribution (in the sense of
distro packages) and the build
process, in order to meet the current state but thought that it could worth
the discussion.

I'd love to hear your feedback.
Thanks in advance,
Kostas