Nmap Development mailing list archives

Q: Does DNS code implement any ping/canary probes?

From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 14:27:46 +0100

Hello,

I'm comparing nmap_dns.cc to scan_engine.cc and while I'm under the
impression that Nmap uses a rate limiting scheme (could you confirm?), but
I found no code for ping/canary probes. I mean an equivalent of ones from
scan_engine.cc that are regularly sent with a request we already have an
answer for, just to find out if the network is congested. Is there an
equivalent in DNS scanning code? If not, would it make sense to add it?
Also, why is CAPACITY_MAX hardcoded and not dependent on -Tn?

I know it's a lot of questions, so if that's too much, a Y/N answer to the
question in the subject would do :)

Cheers,
d33tah