Nmap Development mailing list archives

Happy "21th" birthday, Nmap!

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 10:29:58 -0600

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 08:28:01AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
My records show that NMAP was released on this day in 1997.  It's a
wonderful network scanner, which just keeps better and better.

This reminds me of a bug that I thought I reported before, but now I
cannot find. COBOL had Y2K, Unix has its year 2038, and Nmap has its
year 2018 problem--its "21th" birthday.

$ ./nmap -v
Starting Nmap 7.70SVN ( https://nmap.org ) at 2018-09-01 10:22 MDT
Happy 21th Birthday to Nmap, may it live to be 121!

Here's a patch that will instead give the correct "21st", "22nd",
"23rd", and so on into the future. You can test it with the faketime
program.

$ faketime 1997-09-01 ./nmap -v
Happy 0th Birthday to Nmap, may it live to be 100!
$ faketime 1998-09-01 ./nmap -v
Happy 1st Birthday to Nmap, may it live to be 101!
$ faketime 2018-09-01 ./nmap -v
Happy 21st Birthday to Nmap, may it live to be 121!
$ faketime 2019-09-01 ./nmap -v
Happy 22nd Birthday to Nmap, may it live to be 122!
$ faketime 2020-09-01 ./nmap -v
Happy 23rd Birthday to Nmap, may it live to be 123!
$ faketime 2118-09-01 ./nmap -v
Happy 121st Birthday to Nmap, may it live to be 221!