Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: %! is not a valid Win32 application

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:11:55 -0500

Todd,

The last version of Nmap that works on Windows XP is 7.12. The decision to
drop XP support was not made lightly. In the end, we had to consider:

* Lack of NDIS 6 support, meaning that Windows XP users can't use the new
Npcap packet capture library with its increased speed and new features.
* Newer socket management features like Poll and IOCP that make NSE and
version detection much faster on newer Windows versions.
* Microsoft support for WIndows XP ending April 2014.
* Cost of testing and maintaining a code base across so many Windows API
versions.

Your options, then, are to run Nmap 7.12, build Nmap yourself for Windows
XP, or use a supported OS. We will try to make it more clear during
installation that Windows XP is not supported.

Thanks,
Dan

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 12:25 AM, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo () zoho com>