Nmap Development mailing list archives

FW: Advice on npcap uninstall

From: "Edmund Marr" <edmund.marr () btopenworld com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 16:50:04 +0100

Hi,

I was (on Windows 10 64 bit) happily using Npcap 0.86 with the PDP11
simulator simh, sometimes regularly sometimes from time to time.

I came to use it today after a while of not using it, and it wasn't working.
Just taking the simple path, I did a restart. No joy, so I decided to remove
and reinstall.

The remove seemed to work, but the reinstall (with WinPcap compatibility)
failed, saying that  Winpcap was installed, and would be removed, but its
removal failed as WinpCap was not installed in the first place. The same
happened with the latest version.

I recovered Windows to about 3 weeks ago, but it looks like that was after a
recent significant 'upgrade' to my Windows 10.

It looks as if Microsoft has left me with a half installed, non-running
Npcap which does not uninstall cleanly, and what is left messes up a
re-install. There are a number of registry entries which mention Npcap (some
are for PnPCapabilities though).

Are there any particular registry entries I can delete manually that will
then allow a fresh install? I can get a full list of those that mention
Npcap if it would help.

Regards

Ed Marr