Nmap Development mailing list archives

Broken git process after checkout/clean

From: Ionreflex <ionreflex () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 09:04:25 -0400

Hi all,

Please bear with me, as I'm not that l33t with programming and "gitting",
but I "débrouille" myself!

It appears I've broken my working tree and cannot configure/make anymore;
it all started when I tried to "git pull" yesterday and was greeted with
the following :

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
merge:
        configure
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting

This is what was given by "git status" :

# On branch master
# Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 63 commits, and can be
fast-forwarded.
#
# Changes not staged for commit:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
directory)
#
#       modified:   configure
#       modified:   nsock/src/configure
#
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
#       libssh2/lib/
#       libssh2/libssh2.pc
#       libssh2/libtool
#       libssh2/src/.deps/
#       libssh2/src/.libs/
#       libssh2/src/libssh2_config.h
#       libssh2/src/stamp-h1
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

So I issued a "git checkout .", but also "git clean -df" to remove the
untracked files, and this is what I believe created the following issue :

cd libssh2/src && make libdir="/lib" prefix=""
DESTDIR=/home/ionreflex/gitstuff/nmap/libssh2 install-libLTLIBRARIES;
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ionreflex/gitstuff/nmap/libssh2/src'
 /bin/mkdir -p '/home/ionreflex/gitstuff/nmap/libssh2/lib'
 /bin/bash ../libtool   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c   libssh2.la
'/home/ionreflex/gitstuff/nmap/libssh2/lib'
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libssh2.so.1.0.1
/home/ionreflex/gitstuff/nmap/libssh2/lib/libssh2.so.1.0.1
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/libssh2.so.1.0.1': No such file or
directory
make[1]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ionreflex/gitstuff/nmap/libssh2/src'
make: *** [build-libssh2] Error 2

I believe it to be an issue with ".gitignore" or maybe those untracked
files were improperly added under revision control (!), this I don't know
(but I hope I'm clear enough!).

At first I thought maybe the problem was because I was trying to compile on
my BBB running wheezy32 (armv7l is 32bits... -_-), but I've reproduced the
same situation on an up-to-date CentOS7.

Lemme know if this is relevant and if I can be of any help, I'm currently
and often on IRC if you wish to chat directly.

Thank you,

Ion