Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Performance Improvement Request - Stop a host currently being scanned through runtime interaction

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:57:29 -0500

Sam,

Thanks for the suggestion. We have considered various interactive options
for affecting scan time, but nothing has gained traction. As a general
suggestion, if you find this happening frequently, identify what part of
the scan is actually taking up the time. If it's NSE scripts, add
--script-timeout to your scans to prevent any particular script from taking
too much time. This is pretty safe, since you would only lose the output of
the specific scripts that go over-time. Alternatively, you can add
--host-timeout to set a time limit on scanning any particular host, but
then you will lose all results from that host when the timeout expires.
Other timing options like --max-retries, --max-rtt-timeout,
--defeat-rst-ratelimit, and others are discussed in the man page [1].

Adding IPs during a scan is not likely to be added as a feature. There are
too many things that would have to change about the scan queue, the output,
etc. to make it worthwhile, given that the addresses could as easily be
scanned in a separate command.

Dan

[1] https://nmap.org/book/man-performance.html