Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap Pingscan - ignore reset

From: Simon Gfeller <simu () simuonline ch>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:40:15 +0200

Hello together,

I had a problem with the pingscan already a few times when I had to discover hosts in a subnet. I use -PS with a few top ports like 80, 443 etc. But sometimes, if there is a firewall which sends tcp resets on specific ports even if there is no host, I have a lot of fals positives, because nmap recognises hosts with a tcp reset as online.

Is there a way to ignore reset packages during a ping/discovery scan? If not, is it possible to add such an option or was it already discussed? Or do you know alternatives?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Simon