Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap/Zenmap help

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 08:28:55 -0700

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 07:14:55PM -0500, Eric Tinney wrote:
I'm currently using Ubuntu 16.04, I have nmap/zenmap 7.01 installed, and Zenmap
asks me for root pwd every time I open the program from the launcher. I want to
upgrade both to 7.40, but when I done a fresh install of the software pair at
work today, I wasn't asked for a pwd (and instead get a "non-root user"
warning), and in order to run as root, I have to initiate Zenmap from command
line with "sudo Zenmap". I prefer it to ask me for the password the first step
when launched from the launcher instead of launching from command line.

First question: To upgrade, I intended to remove/purge the nmap and Zenmap
versions 7.01 that I had and do a fresh install, but I don't want what happened
at work to happen at home. Is there a better way to upgrade than to remove
existing, then install the debs using dpkg after making the debs with the rpms/
alien available on the nmap.org website?

I haven't tried installing debs converted from rpm, so I don't have a
recommendation here.

Second question: What have I done wrong on the install at work (and avoiding
until I hear from you on the install at home) to make the GUI not ask me for my
root password when launching Zenmap from the launcher?

What is the contents of the .desktop file (right-click on the icon and
select "Edit" or something)? There are two versions of the file,
zenmap.desktop and zenmap-root.desktop:
        https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/zenmap/install_scripts/unix/?p=36710
They differ in the Exec line:
        Exec=zenmap %F