Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Re: Reg: Protocol divisioning in the tcp packets

From: Dario Ciccarone <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:25:22 -0500

Your suggestion makes no sense. To be honest, you should probably stop
here for a second and read a bit about OSI layers.

We will ignore your L2 protocol - because we don't know what
technologies are used between source and target. Starting at L3, your
target may speak IPv4, IPv6 or both. On top of that, at L4, the target
may have listeners on specific ports for TCP, UDP, or may also "talk"
GRE, IGMP, ICMP, etc. You may not know which protocols the target speak.

Then you need to find out. That's why you have a "protocol scan" ( -sO )
in nmap. And if you have both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity end to end, you
could run them twice - one for IPv4 and one for IPv6.

Saying "nmap should randomly select a protocol which is appropriate for
the network architecture" leads me to believe you would benefit greatly
on improving your basic understanding of networking, and then revisit
the nmap tool.