Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC][NSE] Incomplete HTTP response body

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:04:44 -0500

nnposter,

On further review, this patch looks good. I would be happy with it as-is,
but here are my comments on your questions:

it would be trivial to store the
fragment in the "body" member.

I don't think this is necessary, and would require more extensive checking
of existing scripts to make sure they aren't relying on some aspect of the
"error" body=nil condition.

* The body fragment does process chunked encoding. It concatenates all
processed chunks up to the point of failure.

This makes sense, I don't see a reason for it to be the other way. If a
script cares about chunks as separate entities, then it probably doesn't
want the higher-level http.lua library anyway.

* The patch does not try to preserve received headers or the status
line, only the body itself. This functionality could be added. (If yes,
then the follow-up topic would be how to store them in the response
object. My proposal would be to repurpose "fragment" to contain an
incomplete response object, i.e. the headers or the body would be in
resp.fragment.header and resp.fragment.body, respectively.)

I don't think we need to do this now, but if you copy and paste this
suggestion into a comment at the place where the code would have to go, it
will leave a clue as to a smart way to go about it if someone finds the
need to do so in the future.

Dan