Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: PacketSendPackets and latency

From: Varunram Ganesh via dev <dev () nmap org>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 09:09:48 +0000 (UTC)

Hi David,
Disregard what I said about -d2. I thought you were trying to send data using --send-eth and similar using nmap.
Coming back to the problem at hand, from what I know with regard to npf, NPF_BufferedWrite() scans the buffer and then
calls NdisSend to send the same. So, if the buffer has enough space, it should queue the data, send and immediately
return. I have seen such errors only when we receive and send packets both at the same time, but I haven't sent 30Mb or
seen issues which report the same. A quick question - Does Sending a smaller buffer cause the same 13ms delays? My
guess is that its taking time to scan the buffer (assuming you are resetting the buffer contents), but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Varunram