Nmap Development mailing list archives

Ncrack Enhancement

From: Levi Muniz <levi.muniz17 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 00:36:15 -0700

To Whom It May Concern:

I downloaded your program Ncrack this morning, and I began running some simple security assessments on my home server.
As I was running the crack, I noticed that my memory had seemed to be elevated, so I checked my current processes to
determine what was causing this. I checked Ncrack’s memory usage and it was consuming 1.3 GB of RAM, which makes sense
because my password dictionary is 1.3 GB. However, I wonder the consequences of running an even larger dictionary.

It appears to me that you are loading the entirety of the dictionary and storing it to a variable of some sort. But
why? Wouldn’t it be more memory efficient to read the file line by line to conserve memory?

I would suspect that the biggest limiting factor of the program would be network speed, which is significantly slower
than disk read times. So even if my proposed change causes a decrease in speed in reading the dictionary file, would it
even be noticeable?

Regards,

Levi Muniz
Software Developer