Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Beefing up the docs

From: john <nmap-dev () johnbond org>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:03:55 +0000

On 20/02/2017 16:21, stripes wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a side project to work on, and one of the things I was
thinking of doing is beefing up the documentation for Nmap.

I've been working in security documentation for quite some time, and I
also use Nmap as a sysdmin/infosec professional, and I was wondering
what anyone's thoughts were on this.

It looks like some of the NSEs need documentation, some more examples
need to be documented, and even any coding links to any libraries (??).
Also, if there are any suggestions of anything else that needs to be
updated, I'll be happy to do this.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure who the right person to ask is.
I for one would love to see this, fyodors book is great but i think
there are lots of things that could be updated, especially the scripts
section.  I would also be great to see some more tutorials and examples.
 I have never found a good guide on how to interpret nmap scan results.
Perhaps that's because it really is a bit of an art but i think we could
definitely add some guidance hear.

Other things that would have been usefull when i first started to use nmap.
  * script writing tutorials but aimed at a sysadmin not a coder
  * how to debug slow running scans
  * firewalking (i see there is a script for that now but its still good
to know how to do it manully)

Its been a while since i looked at the docs so sorry if they have since
been updated to include all this and more.

Thanks John