Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: npcap and still the same issues

From: 食肉大灰兔V5 <hsluoyz () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 00:04:53 +0800

Here's how to do the trick to “borrow" an adapter to be Npcap Loopback
Adapter.

1) Install Wireshark, and open a CMD in its installation folder. Because we
need to use its dumpcap.exe tool. Run "dumpcap -D"

C:\Program Files\Wireshark>dumpcap -D
1. \Device\NPF_{7C4E0476-D3F1-4F4C-9FE4-FA514710032A} (VMware Network
Adapter VMnet1)
2. \Device\NPF_{385F30D0-9166-45D3-BBC6-F1D9C5300AF9} (Wi-Fi)
3. \Device\NPF_{2F6EC492-5488-42D4-BAF4-049CD820EB66} (VMware Network
Adapter VMnet8)
4. \Device\NPF_{2A2FCEC4-C241-4B8B-8532-C901A74DC867} (Npcap Loopback
Adapter)
5. \Device\NPF_{AC093F81-04F0-4B51-9137-18E7B8376782} (Ethernet 2)

Let's say that your original 4. (Npcap Loopback Adapter) is broken, so we
are going to use 2. (Wi-Fi) as the new Npcap Loopback Adapter. Copy out its
GUID name: \Device\NPF_{385F30D0-9166-45D3-BBC6-F1D9C5300AF9}

2) Remove the "NPF_" in the above string, so it should be:
\Device\{385F30D0-9166-45D3-BBC6-F1D9C5300AF9}

Copy it to two places in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\npcap\LoopbackAdapter
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Npcap\LoopbackAdapter

(the 2nd registry path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Npcap\LoopbackAdapter
if you are using a 32-bit OS)

3) Restart the driver, by running two commands in CMD:

net stop npcap
net start npcap

4) Now, the "Wi-Fi" adapter should be gone and the new "Npcap Loopback
Adapter" is generated. Capture with it.

Cheers,
Yang