Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Regarding the project "Machine Learning in Networking"

From: Mathias Morbitzer <m.morbitzer () runbox com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 14:30:57 +0200

Hi Divesh,

There is a paper we wrote about using ML for OS detection (in IPv6), you can find it here: https://www.bamsoftware.com/papers/ipv6-os.pdf

This will give you a good idea on the first steps we took.

For the latest work, I think the email-thread "Request for Comments: New IPv6 OS detection machine learning engine" in the Nmap-dev archives gives a nice overview on what we tried to achieve this summer:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2016/q3/82

The current status of the project is that we still have to finish some small things. We hope that there is soon a first experimental version that we can provide.

The reason we are doing this only for IPv6 at the moment is simply that we have to start somewhere: The OS detection system for IPv4 is working well as it is. For IPv6, a new system was designed, this time by using ML.

Once the OS detection with ML is working well with IPv6, we will consider also using it for IPv4.

The question about how to contribute to Nmap have already been answered for example here:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2016/q1/80

However, if you have any specific questions regarding the IPv6 OS detection system, we will be happy to hear them of course. In case you want to know more details about the IPv6 OS detection project this summer, I recommend reading Prabhjyot Singh Sodhi's status reports.

Cheers,

Mathias