Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Contribute to N-MAP

From: Gyanendra Mishra <anomaly.the () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:29:21 +0530

Hi Fyodor,

Great insights! I have made a few changes to incorporate your notes.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Gyanendra Mishra <anomaly.the () gmail com>
wrote:

A lot of students will be asking the same question as you. I decided to
write a blog post to answer the question.[1]

It's currently in a draft like state. I would love your suggestions to
improve the post.

Gyani
[1]https://gyani.net/blog/getting-started-with-nmap/

Hi Gyani.  Nice post!  I'm glad you're able to share your experience with
Nmap development, etc.  Here are a few little notes I took while reading it:

If you are reading this post while thinking of trying for GSoC 2017
remember that GSoC is a beginner-intermediate program and is not for
experts. If you are an expert then you are better of being a mentor.

That's a reasonable perspective although I've seen GSoC work out great for
advanced students too.  Some prefer being a student to a mentor because
students get paid and also generally do more of the hands-on engineering
rather than managing/mentoring.  Also, while some organizations are
different, mentoring is such a large responsibility that the Nmap Project
usually only takes mentors that we already know and with substantial Nmap
development experience.  So even someone with expert-level skills might be
better off starting with Nmap as a student.

I understand your point! I think I wrote the above point thinking of not to
scare away the people new to open source. A lot of my juniors in University
are pretty scared when they start and think starting contribution requires
god like skills. I was wrong in leaving out people with expertise though. I
see how general expertise doesn't qualify you as a mentor and how you are
better off starting as a student. I have made suitable edits to the
article.

Nmap doesn’t have the standard Contributing to Nmap page that most open
source programs have on their websites.

I guess that's fair.  We do have the HACKING file, but it's not so
comprehensive and I see you do link it later in your article.  If you or
someone wants to create a SecWiki page on contributing to Nmap, that would
be great!  And then we could change the HACKING file to just link to it.

Maybe Nmap.org can have a link to the SecWiki Article whenever one gets
written. A lot of projects have  a link on the main site, it makes it
easier to access for new people I guess.

I wanted to work on the hacking and not the UI so Zenmap wasn’t an option
for me.

It is good to have your perspective although this does make it sound a bit
like UI work is lesser than core Nmap or NSE.  But I've actually found
Zenmap UI work to be among the hardest parts of Nmap to do well.  It takes
a unique mix of good design skills and thinking about the use cases and of
course also being able to implement them well in code.  After all, Zenmap
has a lot of complex functionality well beyond just running Nmap and
presenting the plain results in a window like the lame UI's of some other
software.

I think this came off wrong because of the two meanings associated with the
word hacking. By hacking I meant writing exploits/detection scripts
relating to the meaning 'gaining unauthorized access to data in a system or
computer' and not 'an appropriate application of ingenuity’(software
development). I've made some edits to clear the confusion that resulted
with me using the word hacking.

This is something that one should learn. You don’t have to contribute code
to contribute to open source. There are many different ways to contribute
open source,

Excellent point!

Thank You!

Also, where you point to the nmap-dev and nmap-announce lists later, you
might consider making those links so they're easier for people to find.

I have made the change.

Anyway, thanks for writing this good article!

Cheers,
Fyodor

Happy holidays :)

Cheers,