Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Introductory mail

From: Gyanendra Mishra <anomaly.the () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:20:11 +0530

Hi,

I have answered something similar to this earlier. Look at the list below.
Adding further to the list, this is a pretty cool video of Fyodor and
David(a contributor who started like you would) explaining the Nmap
Scripting Engine to people at DefCon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMfQkAAUnvo

I am personally biased towards NSE. I am of the opinion that contributing
to auxiliary components is much easier.

Core Nmap is mostly C/C++. C is terrifying. Lua is really simple and
writing scripts with NSE is fun. You won't have to build Nmap again every
time to test. Write a script and run it, pretty simple.

If you are into Python you can start by contributing to Zenmap. Zenmap is
built with GTK which is probably much easier to grasp than core Nmap.

Also tell us more about yourself, what languages do you already know? Any
previous experience developing something related to networking? Information
in the above email is hardly enough for someone in the mailing list to help
you.

Gyani

Hi Durgesh,

You can look at the following resources to get started.

[1] Is a very nice response to a similar question asked sometime in 2014.
[2] A more formal how to contribute guide.
[3] The `HACKING` file
[4] Explains the Code Standards followed.
[5] An article explaining what exists and why it exists.

[1]http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2014/q1/2
[2]https://github.com/nmap/nmap/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
[3]https://github.com/nmap/nmap/blob/master/HACKING
[4]https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Code_Standards
[5]https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Code_walkthrough

Join #nmap on irc and be sure to checkout the issue tracker at
https://issues.nmap.org.

Cheers,
Gyani
ᐧ

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Tharuka Ranjeewa <tharukaboss () gmail com>