Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP 7.12- DLL Hijacking Privilege Escalation.

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:37:27 -0500

Nitesh,

Thanks for reporting this. The only executable that we offer for download
is the Nmap executable installer, which is built using NSIS. Back in
December 2015, NSIS fixed this problem with their installer builder so that
installers built with it would not be vulnerable to this type of attack.
They further refined the fix in NSIS 2.51, released in April 2016. Nmap
7.12 was released on March 29, so we got the primary fix, but there may be
some secondary fixes in the April NSIS release that we didn't have. The
next release will be built with NSIS 2.51, and should be completely secure
in this regard.

We would appreciate any direct feedback on how we can improve the security
of our installers.

Dan

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Nitesh Shilpkar <shilpkar.nitesh () gmail com>