Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Sergey. [Status report 16/17]

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 08:14:40 -0500

Sergey,

I checked out your gsoc-ssh branch to try, and it's looking very good. I'll
keep looking at it, but for now I had these few feedback items:

1. It would be best if we could avoid needing pcall for so many calls to
libssh2 functions. The prevailing convention with other libraries is to
either return a "status" along with the expected return value, or to return
nil and an error message in the error case. It actually looks like this is
the case for most of the library, so I would have to dig further to see why
pcall is used so much.

2. Running ssh-brute against localhost results in the script ending quickly
with "ERROR: Too many retries, aborted ...", which doesn't seem right. At
debug level 2, it shows "libssh2 error: EOF" which seems to me like it's
not handling the SSH server's limit on login attempts per connection very
well. I don't know if we need to override brute.retries or what.

3. Very minor issue, but from a code cleanliness aspect, there are lots of
whitespace errors, mostly trailing whitespace.

I'll let you know if I have other feedback, but it's looking pretty good
for now!

Dan

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Sergey Khegay <g.sergeykhegay () gmail com>