Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NSE] Script ssl-enum-ciphers should not penalize 3DES

From: nnposter <nnposter () users sourceforge net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:10:23 -0600

As of now, script ssl-enum-ciphers is rating cipher suites based on 3DES
(112-bit keys) the same as those using plain 56-bit DES.

Given that 56-bit keys are considered easily within the reach of average
adversaries while 3DES keys are deemed safe at the moment, I would like
to propose that we change the rating to treat 3DES on par with 128-bit
ciphers. This position is supported by SSL Labs, which does not flag
presence of 3DES cipher suites, while rating "Cipher Strength" of such
sites as "Green".

More details at https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/474

Please voice any concerns with such a change.

Cheers,
nnposter