Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: npcap horror story

From: nnposter <nnposter () users sourceforge net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 20:42:14 -0600

On 7/28/16 2:00 PM, Rob Nicholls wrote:
Mike, I see a similar “Error in OpenService” message twice if I run Nmap
7.25BETA1 after deleting the npcap service on my clean Windows 7 test
VM. If I subsequently install WinPcap I only get the error message once.
I presume the error occurs once checking for the npcap service and a
second time looking for WinPcap (the npf service). It sounds like you
may have uninstalled or deleted Npcap and left WinPcap installed if you
only get it once.

It might make sense for someone to modify Nmap to only show that error
if both npcap and npf are missing, or perhaps relegate it all to debug
output? Otherwise anyone sticking with WinPcap will always see the error
when Nmap checks for npcap.

Please see https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/465

Cheers,
nnposter