Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Npcap logo

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:01:40 -0700

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 3:59 AM, Vincent Dumont <contact () vincentdumont com>
wrote:

I thought the npcap logo could be done in a moderate amount of time, that
is why I am reaching out to you today to present a logo idea I had in mind,
according to Daniel Miller’s idea to use a nose.
I hope you will like it, don’t hesitate to contact me for comments or
other ideas.

Thanks Vincent.  I kind of like the nose idea for the Npcap logo, even
though Dan may have been being sarcastic when he suggested it :).  Your
ideas of using a dog nose, and highlighting the eye, and also sniffing
lines of binary are interesting.  An image like this is probably too
complex for our logo though.  I think we might need more of an
illustration/abstraction.  We even eventually redid the Nmap eye to be a
bit simpler.  Here are some of the Nmap-related logos for comparison:

Nping: https://nmap.org/nping/images/logos/nping_logo_257x423.png
Ncat: https://nmap.org/ncat/images/ncat-logo-250x286.png
Ncrack: https://nmap.org/ncrack/images/ncrack_logo.png
Nmap: https://nmap.org/images/sitelogo.png

The logo should also be in the scalable SVG format so we can easily render
it in different sizes as needed.

For the moment, we have a text-only logotype made by Dan:

https://nmap.org/npcap/images/dan-npcap-whitebg-480x167.png

But we're certainly interested in more submissions (or maybe even just
ideas) for an actual logo.  From Vincent or anyone.  And it doesn't have to
involve a nose at all.  That's just one idea from brief brainstorming.

Cheers,
Fyodor