Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: "Tagged" Output

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 12:27:09 -0500

Davy,

Thanks for the contribution. I replied on Github regarding this change:
https://github.com/nmap/nmap/pull/211#issuecomment-228335524

Dan

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Davy Durham <ddurham () bomgar com> wrote:

Hi, we possibly spoke on IRC today.

I was trying to ensure that I could match <host> entries in the xml output
to the input host list given to nmap.

Attached is a patch that appears to work.

You can suffix any hostname/address-expr with ^mytag and it will include
it as <host tag="mytag" ...> in the output.  I find this necessary because
my user gives me a some recordings with each containing a hostname (really
could be ip, hostname or fqdn) and I need a way to know which result in the
output corresponds to the record the user gave me.

How likely is this patch to be accepted?  I'm flexible on the suffix
separator if it needs to change (originally wanted '#' like a hashtag, but
that's processed as a comment.. which I suppose could just as well be
"preserved" in the xml as comment="...").

If it's acceptable, what else would I need to do (e.g. update man pages,
post online where?)

I desire to retain no rights to the changes.

Thanks