Nmap Development mailing list archives

ssl-enum-ciphers: Warning "Key exchange parameters of lower strength than certificate key"

From: "Kreuser, Peter" <pkreuser () airplus com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 09:53:06 +0000

Hi all,

could  someone please explain this warning and how to fix it?

The situation is:

I use the same certificate in apache and tomcat.

Apache (and Tomcat native APR that uses openssl) gives:

|       TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (secp256r1) - A

"no warning"

Tomcat:

|       TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (secp160k1) - A
|     warnings:
|       Key exchange parameters of lower strength than certificate key

Apparently the JSSE implementation with the java keystore does the key exchange with secp160k1 that is an equivalent of
1024bit RSA and thus creates the warning.

Is this Java8 specific or can I change this. Or: should I even change this?

Thank You.

Peter