Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SMB related version detection updates

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 00:37:59 -0500

I've just finished another pass at tuning the version detection for netbios-ns ( 137/udp ). The
results should be more reliable and provide some additional detail. We can now tell if the target
is an Active Directory / Domain controller. There are new match lines for Apple's SMB implementation.
Also, I've addressed a couple of cases where the hostname and workgroup or domain name were switched.

Once I've had a chance to test it against some really old clients ( Win XP ) I might be able to
remove some of the legacy entries.  The responses from modern Windows OSes ( Win 7+ ) are fairly
consistent and none of them are triggering the older matchlines at the beginning of that section.

Tom