Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC IPv6 Machine learning

From: "Mathias Morbitzer" <m.morbitzer () runbox com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 20:26:48 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Last summer, we have completely redesigned the IPv6 OS detection system to be able to cope with the new challenges of
IPv6, minimize the manual effort needed to add detection of new operating systems and to improve behavior when
confronted with unknown operating systems.

This current system uses logistic regression combined with an one-vs-all classification. To be able to cope with
missing values, they are imputed with the multiple imputation by chained equations (MICE) approach.

One of the things we would like to do is to analyze if new probes can be added, modified or removed to increase
efficiency of the IPv6 OS detection engine.  Also for the set of extracted features research needs to be done with
regards to features that can be added or removed. Further ideas for improvement of the OS detection engine are also
welcome.

Also, given the structure of the data, there might be other, more suited approaches to perform classification, such as
a random forest classifier. Therefore another idea would be to design and implement an alternative system for OS
detection within Nmap, and to see if the new system is able to perform better than the one currently in use.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
Mathias