Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problem with nmap-6.49BETA6 on Mac OS X

From: d1312 () phx li
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 16:47:52 +0100

Got caught by that one too :).  Oh well, mistakes do happen, but it does highlight the absence of an uninstaller.

Is there a list of what exactly this binary installer installs and where?  It is slowly getting to a point where the
macports version makes more sense as I can upgrade all the tools in one go, but I'd like to install the binary versions
first to avoid any conflicts.  There shouldn't be any, but I prefer safe over sorry :)

Cheers, Peter

Thanks for reporting this. I can confirm that we mistakenly build the OS X
image dynamically linked to OpenSSL instead of statically linked as we
intended. This, combined with a mistake in our check rule that is intended
to catch this kind of error, means that the 6.49BETA6 release will not run
properly. I will work on rebuilding quickly, fixing our check, and making
sure this doesn't happen again.

The root cause is that "make install" forces a rebuild of the nmap binary,
and we did not pass static OPENSSL_LIBS to the "make install" command,
since we did not expect this to happen.

Stay tuned,
Dan