Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Force TCP traceroute

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:27:23 +0200

W dniu 16.10.2015 o 15:35, Jochen Bartl pisze:
Hi *,

is there a way to have Nmap traceroute to a host via TCP even though the
destination port is filtered and the host scan was intentionally disabled?

couldn't find a solution. In traceroute.cc [1] it seems like that an ICMP/echo
traceroute is implicitly chosen if the host scan is disabled. My impression of
"nmap -sS -n -Pn -p 443 --traceroute w.x.y.z" was that if the host scan is
disabled,
Nmap would just use TCP syn packets to get to the destination.

I would like to be able to trace the path via TCP-syn packets to figure out,
which firewall in the path is most likely filtering the packets.

If that's not possible right now, maybe you could add it to the feature requests
queue ;-) I thought about an --ignore-probe-result option, but
didn't make a patch, because I'm neither familiar with c nor c++ and would like
to spare you my copy&paste coding results.

Thanks and best regards,

Jochen

1) https://github.com/nmap/nmap/blob/master/traceroute.cc#L616-L622

To the best of my knowledge, Nmap is trying to use the best probe it
found during host discovery. Perhaps adding -PS443 would make it use
this protocol?