Nmap Development mailing list archives

Host Discovery and RST Packets

From: "jmk" <jmk () foofus net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 12:56:47 -0600

Hi,

I'm using Nexpose to scan a highly segmented internal network. Nexpose calls
Nmap to handle host discovery and is finding thousands of assets that don't
really exist. It looks like there is an intermediate device between the
target subnets and my scanner that is sending a RST,ACK for every SYN to a
non-existent host. Unfortunately, Nmap flags this as the target host being
up. Is there a way with Nmap to force it to only report a host being up if
it either receives a SYN,ACK and/or ICMP reply? I should note that some
network segments block ICMP, so I can't rely on that alone for asset
discovery.

Thanks,

Joe