Nmap Development mailing list archives

Scanning trough proxy, including Tor: Ethical consideration

From: "Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists" <lists () infosecurity ch>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 13:44:44 +0200

Regarding the high-performance scanning trough proxy, including and
especially Tor, did you considered the ethical aspects of such
implementation?

Up to now there are no point'n'click high-performance ports canning tool
to work well behind Tor, this means that the Tor network abuse for ports
canning exists, but it's not yet a major problem for Tor Exit Node
operators.

Whenever nmap will support scanning trough Tor with high-performance and
high-accuracy, we will see a strong increase in amount of abuses of the
Tor network.

This will lead to problems to Tor Exit Node operators that on a
volunteer basis support the Tor anonymity network.

I'd suggest to keep the patch for scanning trough Tor, off nmap official
software releases.

I know it's a controversial topic, but consider the possible impact it
will have on a public, free, volunteer run Tor network.

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights