Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap-updater status?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:59:19 -0500

Mike,

There is a lot that goes into a system like this. I gave a short answer on
issue #152 [1], but I'll give it another go here:

Maintaining the nmap-update infrastructure requires a significant degree of
effort, since it requires keeping up compatible versions of NSE scripts and
(in rarer cases) datafiles. Given the time and resource constraints under
which we operate, we have chosen to focus on consistent and regular
releases to provide a reasonably up-to-date experience for our users.

Regarding "certain users," the reality is that nmap-update is limited to
Nmap developers with SVN commit access, mostly because nmap-update uses
Subversion to retrieve and manage updates. This should not cause anyone to
feel left out, however, since the actual content that can be retrieved has
not been updated in over 3 years.

Dan

[1] http://issues.nmap.org/152