Nmap Development mailing list archives

IRC meeting log - SOCKS4A Implementation Issues

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 21:46:38 +0200

List,

On June 24th, a few of us met on a temporary #nmap-socks channel on
Freenode to discuss the challenges a proper SOCKS4A implementation in
Nmap would need to overcome. In order to invite all developers to the
discussion, we decided to publish the IRC logs from this meeting. Here's
a TL;DR:

1. Andrew's PoC branch that allows connections within NSE
prerule/postrule scripts will not be merged for now - as well as the one
that allows SOCKS4A port scanning with -sK.

2. For now, the /etc/hosts kludge I proposed remains unsolved - Daniel
suggests that it's a bigger issue that should be fixed by isolating
target specification code some more,

3. To add SOCKS4A support gradually, two new branches will need to be
prepared and merged: first, support for Ncat proxies; this is because it
would be a rather simple and useful test environment for Nsock
proxychains support. Second, one that modifies the way connections are
made within nsock so that nsock_connect_tcp target can be specified with
a hostname as well as an IP.

Cheers,
d33tah