Nmap Development mailing list archives

Kernel Panic After Nmap Execution

From: nebbia () openmailbox org
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 04:12:49 +0200

Good Evening, I had a kernel panic after running Nmap, the version I'm using is 6.47.

I will try to briefly explain my problem in the next few lines.

Preamble:
My network address is 192.168.1.0/24
My Ip Address from ifconfig is 192.168.1.105

Description of the problem:
Some days ago I tried to run a network analysis with Wireshark, I applied an "http" filter and I noticed there were some packets coming as "source" from the local ip address 192.168.1.114.

Now the first thing I tried in order to understand which hosts were alive on my network was:
"nmap -sn 192.168.1.0/24"

but this gave me a list of hosts in which there was no 192.168.1.114.

After i found out that executing the same command with "sudo" (with root provileges) the lists reveals the 192.168.1.114, particularly it tells me:

"Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.114
Host is up (0.099s latency).
MAC Address: 14:2D:27:DC:4A:8F (Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.)"

but when i ran:

"sudo nmap -O -sV 192.168.1.114"

my computer freezed and i got a kernel panic.

Which can be the cause of such problem ? What is causing this kernel panic which forces me to manually reset the machine ?

I apologize for my english, and hope for your reply.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Greetings,
nebbia