Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SourceForge nmap project analysis

From: "Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists" <lists () infosecurity ch>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 16:39:23 +0200

On 7/2/15 10:41 AM, Fyodor wrote:
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 1:35 AM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists
<lists () infosecurity ch <mailto:lists () infosecurity ch>> wrote:

    Given that SF is for the opensource community, and it's not softpedia or
    download.com <http://download.com> or other pseudo-malware-oriented
    commercial sites,

Sadly, Sourceforge has gone that same route :(.  We need to judge them
on their actions, and those don't speak well of the current management.
You'd think that, after all this negative attention, they'd be on their
best behavior, right?  And that they'd be following their promise[1] to
eliminate fake download buttons?

I don't like non-constructive criticism, especially when we need to
judge on "actions" like you suggest.

Have you reported what do you describe by sending them an email to
blockthis () sourceforge net as indicated in the link you referred at [1] ?

It's easy to say "streets are plenty of holes" but then don't report
"that hole" to the municipality trough their reporting procedure to get
it fixed.

You may have a bias that SF is bad-behaving and i may have a bias that
SF is good-behaving.

But the facts are that for each single of the claims/issues being
reported there's a pragmatic reaction considering community needs.

-Fyodor
[1] https://sourceforge.net/blog/?s=blockthis

Fabio