Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NSE] OS Version String Parsing Library RFC

From: Gyanendra Mishra <anomaly.the () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:30:51 +0530

Hi,

After discussion here[1] and on IRC we decided to make a library that would
do parsing of version strings and return a canonicalized OS version string
and CPE information. You can find the alpha version of the library here[2].

Highlights :

get_os_info() : This function takes a version string, determines the type
and passes it to specific function for the vendor/family.
windows_lookup() : Tries to parse the version string using the look up
table provided.
windows_parse() : Tries to parse the version string itself, used if look up
table isn't able to parse the version string.
make_cpe() : Used to construct CPE for a given version string.
get_all_cpe() : Gets all available CPE info for a particular version number.

Currently the library supports parsing of Windows version strings. I'll be
adding more windows versions in the look up table. Let me know your
suggestions, comments and what other strings you would like to see get
parsed.

[1]http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q2/271
[2]https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/gyani/nselib/osinfo.lua

[1]http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q2/271