Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: update to nmap-mac-prefixes

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 15:48:04 +0100

I can understand script dependancies changing and being a pain to
maintain but what about datafiles like this one? How often does the
format of these change?

Robin

On 17 June 2015 at 15:42, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com> wrote:

W dniu 17.06.2015 o 14:32, Robin Wood pisze:
Wasn't there talk at some point about having the ability for nmap to
update various aspects of itself through a command line option, might
have been scripts? If this is the type of feed that nmap could parse
into a datafile that it could use then this would be a good candidate
for including.

Robin

I just had this thought that this should be relatively easy to implement
in NSE. What do you think?

As I mentioned in a comment on #152, we have a system called nmap-update
that is not currently maintained. The trouble is that new scripts (and
sometimes new datafiles) are not always backwards-compatible with older
Nmaps. For instance, stdnse.debug is not available in Nmap 6.47 (the latest
stable release). You can get it if you replace stdnse.lua as well as
nse_main.lua, but nse_main.lua has been changed to use lpeg, so you also
need lpeg.lua. Basically you need to grab *everything*, and some stuff
depends on compiled-in NSE libraries. It usually comes around to binary
incompatibility.

So nmap-update has the idea of "channels" where you have a version of the
latest stuff that's backwards compatible with the 6.47 release, or whatever
releases we want to support. But this greatly increases the amount of work
script writers have to do: we have to write backwards-compatible versions of
everything for the users who use nmap-update! This has caused a lot of pain
when we want to push out a new script to detect a hot-button vulnerability;
see for example the lengthy instructions I had to put together to go with
our ssl-heartbleed script: http://tinyurl.com/nmap-heartbleed

So instead, we just assume that people who want the very latest scripts will
use the SVN repo, and we try to keep the releases coming on a regular basis.
The big delay since the last release has been mostly due to my learning the
ropes of fingerprint integration and the complex processes surrounding
releases, but I hope to have all that smoothed out so that we can continue
pushing releases on a every-6-month-ish timeframe.

Dan

#152: http://issues.nmap.org/152