Nmap Development mailing list archives

Yang's Status Report - #5 of 17

From: 食肉大灰兔V5 <hsluoyz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 12:22:40 +0800

Hi all,

Accomplishments:

* Test the bug reported by Rapid7 about winpcap-nmap-4.13.exe.

I wrote a bat a couple of days ago as below:

start winpcap-nmap-4.13.exe /S
start windump -i 4
nmap -v -A -T4 192.168.0.1

Actually my bat will cause failure because winpcap-nmap-4.13.exe /S
fisrtly uninstalled the software and then reinstall it. So if nmap or
windump starts working after uninstallation and before resintallation,
it would fail. If I manually uninstall the software first before
running the bat, all things go well and no more abnormals. So we still
need Rapid7's further bug reproduce procedures.

* Wrote the .gitignore file to exclude the build intermediate files
for npcap project.

* Changed the driver name from "npf.sys" to "npcap.sys"

* Changed the driver installer "NPFInstall.exe" source for new driver name.

* Changed the NSIS script to install all stuff in "C:\Program
Files\NPcap" instead of "C:\Windows\System32".

However, there're still bugs in this change, and it seems that
Wireshark cannot find our wpcap.dll in "C:\Program Files\NPcap" path,
maybe they have hard-coded to use the files in the exact
"C:\Windows\System32" directory.

Priorities:

* Continue the work to make NPcap coexist with WinPcap.

* Have a meeting with fyodor for the next step.