Nmap Development mailing list archives

My question on combining the --min-hostgroup, --min-parallelism, and --host-timeout options.

From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 04:15:53 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

When I use nmap for scanning on large scale networks. I want to combine
the following options to obtain the gain on correctness and efficiency:

--min-hostgroup, --min-parallelism, and --host-timeout.

But I have the following issues which I cann't figure out:

1. As for the --min-hostgroup and --min-parallelism, are there some
relationships on setting the values for both of them according to the
rule of thumb?  Say, if I set  --min-hostgroup 100, I should set what
value for --min-parallelism in order obtain effective gain on correctness
and efficiency of my scanning?

2. Again, are there some rule of thumb for setting the --host-timeout,
when the above two parameters - --min-hostgroup and --min-parallelism -
have been set?

Regards
--
.: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.