Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap on android

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:44:03 +0100

W dniu 02.03.2015 o 04:02, Pro Gupta pisze:
Specifically, I think of developing wrapper functions in java around the
nmap binary in which the command line parameters are passed to the
functions like scan type,  ip addresses etc. and the results could be saved
in file or shown on screen.

I would like to do it even for the nse  scripts. Also, considering the
device, limits could be put in the api itself like number of ip addresses
to be scanned at a time etc.

Hello,

First, a quick remark - I noticed that you seem to be trying to "bump"
your thread by posting the same message multiple times. The fact that
people did not respond to your e-mail within hours does not mean that
they ignored it, it sometimes takes even more than a week to get a reply
here.

Now, here's my opinion - Nmap already has an interface (command line +
XML) which was in the most part thought over, so I do not understand
what would you like to achieve. Based on your description, you seem to
be proposing another layer of abstraction to make it easier to call Nmap
using Java. That's a lot of work, so an obvious question pops out -
what's to be gained there? I would expect such abstraction to be leaky
anyway.

Also, app developers could use any part of the api to build apps like only
for the nse scripts or only the ping scanning app without any overhead of
the underlying binaries.

So, you mean rewriting the NSE scripts as standalone programs? Again,
why would Nmap Project be interested in that?

Cheers,
Jacek Wielemborek