Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: idea for scanning options

From: nnposter () users sourceforge net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 1:15:21 -0700

David Fifield wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 04:52:48PM -0600, Daniel Miller wrote:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Mike . <[1]dmciscobgp () hotmail com> wrote:
so follow along here because maybe this wont make sense, not sure. would
someone ever think about making a change in our scanning (tcp/udp) to
ALWAYS have the source port match destination? i read that some protocols
will only talk this way. 2 i know are IPSEC and RIP (500/520). i do believe
there are others but i do not recall them right now. so as you would be
scanning, by default, it would just use the same source as dest on auto. is
this feasible and do we even care? maybe we could do certain ports this
way? or do you want the user to constantly specify the src port option?

This could be feasible, but would require a good deal of work to implement. I
thought at first that it would not be possible, since we use the source port to
encode information about how many retries had been sent since the one that
provoked the response. This helps with timing, since it lets us know when there
is a very high-latency link where replies to earlier probes arrive after we
have already sent retransmissions. This is already a consequence of using the
-g option to set the source port, though.

It should be possible because of -g, but I agree it doesn't seem worth
the effort. It would be weird to probe port 80 from source port 80
always, for example.

Moreover, NIDS tend to have signatures for connections originating from
"system" ports unexpectedly so the scanning would get much noisier.

Cheers,
nnposter