Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap Reports

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:54:57 -0600

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:29 AM, John, Robert HISNA-AL <robjohn () hmmausa com>
wrote:

Hello,

I’m new to zenmap and I’m having a bit of a problem with reports.

I’m running zenmap from NST20-6535 (network Security Toolkit from
SourceForge), which is installed on fedora 20.

The program seems to run fine, but the problem I have is with reporting.

I’ve tried to run a scan (several times) of several of our public subnets
concurrently with the following options (-sS –sU –Pn).

When the scans complete, the reports all contain data from one scan, when
each report should be unique to the subnet that was scanned.

If you have any tips or suggestions it would be very helpful.

Rob,

I'm assuming you mean the XML files that Zenmap saves for each scan. Zenmap
is primarily a results viewer and command-builder for Nmap. One scan is one
execution of Nmap, and results in one XML file. There is not currently a
way to split or join those XML files, either along network boundaries or by
any other method.

You have a couple options for the kind of output you want:

1. Run one scan for each set of addresses that you want in a single file.
Or,

2. Use an XML parser to split the results as you like and write them out to
separate files.

Please let us know if there's any way we can improve Zenmap, and thanks for
the question.

Dan