Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap crash

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 10:45:18 -0600

Mike,

I just reproduced the problem: it was caused by pressing Ctrl+C while a
script is sleeping. I reproduced it with a super-simple prerule script
which just sleeps for 10 seconds. Now we just need to come up with a proper
fix.

I do want to caution you that 'http*' includes a few scripts that you
probably don't want to run for just information gathering:

dos (denial of service) category: http-slowloris. This is probably the
script that crashed, since it calls sleep a lot. This will run for 30
minutes by default, and will conflict with other scripts since it tries to
prevent the target from responding to anyone (even NSE!).

brute category: http-brute, http-form-brute, http-iis-short-name-brute,
http-joomla-brute, http-proxy-brute, and http-wordpress-brute. If there are
any authorization forms or 401 codes, some these scripts will try to
brute-force logins. http-iis-short-name-brute will try to brute-force names
of files on the target, too.

external category: http-google-malware, http-icloud-findmyiphone,
http-icloud-sendmsg, http-open-proxy, http-proxy-brute,
http-robtex-reverse-ip, http-robtex-shared-ns, http-virustotal, and
http-xssed. These will all request information about your target from
external sources, or attempt to contact external servers through your
target.

Dan