Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: "tcpwrapped" false positives

From: nnposter () users sourceforge net
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 18:09:25 +0000

Daniel Miller wrote:
Second, I'm not sure that 2 seconds is an appropriate time. Here's how a
tcpwrappers rejection works, and why it's not an instant rejection:
1. We open a TCP connection to the host. I'm not certain of whether the
handshake time counts toward the time left for the probe, but I think it
does, since Nsock is asynchronous.
2. The host checks our address against its black- and white-lists. This
oftentimes requires a reverse DNS lookup, and may even include an ident
lookup. This is the primary source of delay.
3. The host resets the connection: half a round-trip for the RST packet to
reach us.

I understand Dan's reasoning but the reality is that there is no
substantial wiggle room if 2 seconds is deemed not enough and 5 is
definitely too much. If arbitrarily adopting a mid-point of 3-4 seconds
is not palatable then it might be worth contemplating a question
whether the value of having this heuristic detection of TCP wrappers is
worth the mis-detections of impatient services. To put it bluntly,
would it be worth supporting a 25 years old relic at the expense of not
supporting more prevalent services?

Cheers,
nnposter