Nmap Development mailing list archives

Suggestion for NMAP

From: Dave Horsfall <dave () horsfall org>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 08:22:13 +1000 (EST)

(Archives searched, and nothing relevant)

I've been using NMAP for many years now and I've started using it for
monitoring open-but-unused ports e.g. an exposed server with no HTTP
listener etc.

Is there a way to timestamp the connections?  The "-v" flag doesn't do it,
and I can't find any other flag.

Version here is 5.50 on FreeBSD (I need to update) and 6.01 on OS/X.

If there is no flag then I'll grab the source and submit a patch.

Another idea is a fake client for SMTP/SSH/HTTP etc; accept the connection
then go through the minimal dialogue necessary to establish information
about the remote end before dropping it.

E.g. for SMTP it would be something like:

<-- Connect
--> log, and Banner
<-- HELO
--> log, and reply