Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r33784 - in nmap: . libnetutil nping

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:36:11 -0800

Author: dmiller
Date: Wed Nov  5 15:02:09 2014
New Revision: 33784

[...]
             u8 data[20];
-            // Cannot use these because the fucking alignment screws up
+            // Cannot use these because the four-flushing alignment
screws up
             // everything. I miss ANSI C.
[...]
               if (!strncmp(recvbuf, "500", 3)) {
-                /* fuck, we are not aligned properly */
+                /* oh dear, we are not aligned properly */
                 if (o.verbose || o.debugging)
[...]
      * want it to set the TCP/UDP checksum for us. Why the hell is this
the
-     * default behavior if it's so fucking difficult to get the IPv6
source
+     * default behavior if it's so incredibly difficult to get the IPv6
source
      * address?
[...]
     } else {
-      AV.value = "I"; /* They fucked it up */
+      AV.value = "I"; /* They modified it */

Haha, very tactful!  I guess those may have snuck in after this entry from
the 3.15BETA2 changelog:

o To emphasize the highly professional nature of Nmap, I changed all
  instances of "fucked up" in error message text into "b0rked".

Meanwhile, I grepped for other profanity and some of it is in actual code
rather than comments. Examples:

tcpip.cc:  struct in_addr bullshit, bullshit2;
tcpip.cc:  bullshit.s_addr = ip->ip_src.s_addr;
tcpip.cc:  bullshit2.s_addr = ip->ip_dst.s_addr;

We also have version detection signatures such as "fuckFtpd 0wns j0" and
"FucKiT RootKit by Cyrax".  Not much we can do about those unless we can
convince malware authors to watch their potty mouths!

Cheers,
Fyodor