Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Installer suggestion

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 08:35:33 -0500

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Mertz, Jonathan <jmertz () aclara com> wrote:

Hello, I have a suggestion for the nmap installer.
When I was installing nmap for Windows this morning, it told me that it
was skipping install of pcap because a given version was already installed
(I had installed wireshark yesterday.) Unfortunately I was unable to find
what version it would install if I removed it and ran the installer again.
My suggestion is to explicitly state that "pcap version xx.xx.xx is not
being installed because version yy.yy.yy is already installed." and then
the rest of the message as it stands about how you can manually uninstall
it and rerun the installer.

Jonathan,

Thanks for this suggestion! I took a look at our installer code
(nmap/mswin32/winpcap/winpcap-nmap.nsi) and it appears that the message you
are getting indicates that you have the exact same version installed.
Here's the relevant section:

   do_version_check:

    GetDllVersion "$SYSDIR\wpcap.dll" $R0 $R1
    IntOp $R2 $R0 / 0x00010000
    IntOp $R3 $R0 & 0x0000FFFF
    IntOp $R4 $R1 / 0x00010000
    IntOp $R5 $R1 & 0x0000FFFF
    StrCpy $inst_ver "$R2.$R3.$R4.$R5"

    StrCmp $inst_ver $my_ver same_ver

    MessageBox MB_YESNO|MB_ICONQUESTION "WinPcap version $inst_ver exists
on this system. Replace with version $my_ver?" IDYES try_uninstallers
    quit

  same_ver:
    MessageBox MB_OK "Skipping WinPcap installation since version $inst_ver
already exists on this system.  Uninstall that version first if you wish to
force install."
    quit

So you see that if the versions were different, you would have been
prompted to decide between the two. Please let us know if this is not what
you saw, or if there is anything else we can improve.

Dan