Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug: liblua use of undeclared type off_t causes build failure on OSX10.4PPC

From: Geoff Down <geoffdown () fastmail net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 00:28:37 +0000

Hi Patrick,
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 08:26 PM, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Hi Geoff,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 9:05 PM, Geoff Down <geoffdown () fastmail net>
wrote:
Hello all,
 I experienced this bug when trying to install Macports Nmap @6.47_0 .
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/38822
Seems off_t isn't native to the compiler apple-gcc42 (which is the
latest available from Macports at least) and the legacy sys/types.h,
where it is in fact defined, isn't included by liolib.c .
Can you fix this so that other non C-programmers don't have to dive into
the code please? I assume my kludge won't cause me any problems.
Regards,
Geoff Down

That bug seems to be a duplicate of [1]. Also, this has been brought
up on Lua's mailing list here [2].

in stdio.h as per [3] (POSIX.1-2008).

 Does it matter whose fault it is?

Please forward the bug to Apple and/or have downstream macports (?)
maintain a patch.

Apple don't maintain 10.4 at all. Macports pass the buck to you.
Meanwhile the poor users have broken software.
Can't you decide between you who is going to fix it?
Rock/Paper/Scissors?
GD

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40433
[3] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/stdio.h.html